A quick and easy appetizer, snack OR side dish loaded with creamy goat cheese, zucchini and sweet balsamic reduction. Gluten free and full of healthy fats!
1 tsp Olive oil
1 tsp Garlic, minced
1/2 A small zucchini, cut into thin slices
Pinch of salt
1/4 Cup Balsamic vinegar
2 Large avocados
2 Oz goat cheese (about 1/2 oz per each avocado half)
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a small dish with tinfoil.
2. Heat the oil in a medium pan over med/high heat.
3. Add in the minced garlic and sliced zucchini and sautee until golden brown and soft, about 2-3 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt. Set aside to cool.
4. Pour the balsamic vinegar into a small pot and bring it to a boil over med, high heat.
5. Once the vinegar boils, turn it down to a simmer (about med/low or low heat – you want the outsides to just be lightly bubbling) and simmer, stiring every once in awhile, until it reduces by half or about 6-8 minutes. You will know it has reduced when it coats the back of the spoon *. Set aside.
6. Slice the avocados in half, taking out the seeds. Scoop some more of the center out, making the hole where the seed was nice and large.
7. Layer a little bit of cooked zucchini in the bottom of each hole, followed by a little bit of goat cheese, pressing the goat cheese in.
8. Repeat for one more layer. **
9. Bake on the prepared baking tray until the avocado’s flesh is soft and the cheese is nice and melted, about 10-15 minutes (depending how soft your avocado was from the start)
10. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and DEVOUR!
* The balsamic sets up a lot once it has cooled, so don’t cook it too long or you will balsamic vinegar toffee once it cools!
** You could probably just mix the goat cheese and zucchini in a bowl and then fill the holes to make it easier as well.