You may find yourself asking, “What is a glow up?” A glow up is a term used when someone has gone through a period of growth in their life, physically, mentally, or both. They have undergone a transformation that allows them to live their most confident, authentic selves. Each person has their own personal glow up and will look different for everybody depending on the goal they are trying to achieve.
The glow ups that always seem to have the most impact are the ones where the person is nurturing themselves, whether that being something as simple as eating a cleaner diet or making time to take care of their mental health. This provides the body and mind with peace that allows the good energy to radiate from within, rather than a quick transformation that could have you looking good for a couple months, and then end up right back where you started.
Taking care of your body is one of the most important parts of experiencing your own glow up. You only have one, so use it wisely! Ways to do this include:
- Using natural beauty products. Many beauty products can contain harsh chemicals or properties that may leave damage or blemishes on your skin. Its best to do research on the type of products that you use to ensure you are getting the most organic, natural product to keep your skin clean and clear.
- Get some shut eye. Believe it or not, sleep is a crucial part of keeping yourself in good health! The average adult needs a minimum of seven hours of sleep each night to relax and for the brain to digest what happened during the day. This also helps alleviate bags under the eyes from exhaustion. It can be hard to refrain from binge watching the newest season of your favorite show on Netflix before bed, but those extra couple hours can do wonders for your energy levels.
- Drink your water. It is a well-known fact that staying hydrated has a plethora of benefits. Water prevents premature wrinkling, provides lubrication of the joints, aids in weight loss, and helps maintain a healthy blood pressure. While there are more benefits that could be listed, these are some of the important ones to help stay healthy. Having a water bottle that tracks your ounces can keep you on track and motivate you to get your daily intake.
- Spa days- Nothing says a glow up like a day to pamper yourself! Spa days are a great way to enjoy facials, massages, saunas and more. These treatments are designed to relax the body and even nourish and hydrate the skin. Enjoying a spay day allows you to drop off your stress at the door and allow the professionals to take over for the time being, ensuring you are enjoying your time.
- “Me” time– If spa days aren’t your thing, make it a priority to set time for yourself to do your favorite activity or hobby! As long as you are carving time to do what you love (even if it is just relaxing in bed with a good book), you are allowing yourself to destress.
Another important way that you can glow up is physically. This is all dependent on the individual and what their personal goals are. Some people may just want to incorporate more fruit and vegetables in their diet, while others may want to begin training for a 5K run!
- Physical activity doesn’t have to be repetitive or boring. In can be in your living room, outside, or at the gym! The options are limitless in what type of physical activity you can do to get in shape, such as at home workouts, running, swimming, you name it! If you are moving your body, you are working out. This helps you not only feel better physically but increases your confidence as well.
- Sunlight. Enjoying the sunshine allows your body to soak up the rays and create Vitamin D, which is important in regulating your calcium and phosphate. These nutrients together work hard to maintain healthy bones, muscles and teeth.
Unfortunately, mental health can be thrown to the wayside in terms of glowing up. It is an important aspect of growth and prosperity that shouldn’t be overlooked. There are ways to improve your mental wellbeing from home.
- Meditation. This is a great way to reduce the stress of everyday life. It allows you to take some time to yourself, and focus on nothing but your object, thought, or activity of choice. You focus on this one thought, regulate your breathing, and allow everything else to flow out of you. This technique is a great way to maintain emotional homeostasis and check in on your own emotions and thoughts from time to time.
- Journaling. Writing is a tool used to express whatever you are thinking about. Whether it’s events that are happening in your daily life, or feelings that you need to express, journaling allows you to get your thoughts off your chest. Many have reported that they feel better when they keep a daily journal.
- Stress less. This is much easier said than done. Stress is a big factor in a lot of people’s lives and can manifest into physical symptoms if its strong enough! Its important to realize when a situation or a feeling may be causing you an abundance of stress and taking a step back to allow yourself to breathe. Meditation is said to be a good way to do this!
- Enjoying life. As the old saying goes, “Life is short.” Many of us are so caught up with the hustle and bustle of everyday life, that we forget to slow down and enjoy the little moments in between. Take time to phone a friend or make time to try out the restaurant that you’ve been eyeing. There is no time like the present to show the ones you love that you care, and maybe receive some love in return.
A glow up to one person will mean something completely different to the next. Each of us have our own journeys, and how we will continue our path to personal growth. These examples are perfect ways to holistically begin your own journey!